background

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Donor's Choose Project

I friend of mine recently told me about her projects on Donorschoose.com and I was all like ""Why am I not doing that?"

So...I went on Donorschoose.com and started to think about a project. A big part of me really wants our students to be globally minded. To know where and what is happening not just "Me on the Map" kinda stuff though I think it is important for them to know where they are in relation to everyone else. But. I think we spend to much time making our students self absorbed. There I said it. When are we going to value other people's culture and news just as much as our own? So these thoughts plus traveling to Kenya last year and seeing how many children from other countries can tell me what is happening in our country, however if I were to ask my student about what is happening in China right now they might say, "Where they make all my toys?". Yikes.

My project is starting simple - I want information current events in my classroom to help me teach reading but in a subtle manner start expanding me students' minds in what is happening around the world and wait for it...how they can help and be passionate about something! But here is the challenge: it is not about them. It is about them being used for a bigger purpose. For them to think of others before themselves. To sacrifice. To be better than a self-absorbed brat who wants money and things things things. But maybe experiences - like travel and adventure!

Here is what I mean: A couple years ago a fellow teacher and me did a penny drive for Darfur. We showed our kids what was happening there and raised over $500.00 for Doctors without Borders. This was shocking for our kids to see what other kids in Africa were being treated and expected to do. I believe it started opening the door to how fallen of a world we live in but hope for a change in the future.

If you want to check out or donate or share my project please do!

Image


Think Global and Act Local


Tiffany

1 comment:

  1. I love it. What a great Project. I support it wholeheartedly. I have shared a link on my FB page. Go get them girl!. Shok

    ReplyDelete