background

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Finally Finished!


I have finally finished my room...just in time for Meet the Teacher Tomorrow! I am looking forward to seeing my new bunch of kiddos!

Here are some tips for Meet the Teacher:

1. The first 7 seconds are the most important! Smile, shake hands, give a positive greeting and say something unique to that student! Don't say the same thing to everyone...they will catch on that you are being lazy.

2. Next, greet the parents! It is important to see the child first then the parents! This shows where your interest lies. Shake hands and smile!

3. Encourage the students to look around the room and explore their new classroom! I like to have something that they have to look for - give them a purpose - for example: I will say, "We have a special classmate. See if you can find our squeaky friend!" they will search for my class pet Rusty the Guinea Pig.

4. Sit the parents down and get them to sign EVERYTHING you can. Our school district is doing things really easy now. If you do NOT want your student to get on the internet, video, picture ect...they have to sign. So if they don't sign it is an automatic YES! Love it. However, we do have some iPad forms, Pet Permissions, and info cards that need to be filled out. Another teacher of mine, gives our brownies for "brownie points" for filling our paperwork! Very creative!

5. If supplies are brought, I wait till the first day of school and have the kiddos sort, so for today I just have them set it on the table.

6. I like to fill out the student's name tags as they come in. Often time students go by a nickname or middle name and I like to write what they like to be called. I make it out and then show them where I would like them to sit on the first day. This helps with jitters!

7. I try not to talk to one parent too much but encourage them to sign up for a conference. This way you can mingle and chat with more people. Sometimes it is hard to pull away from a "talker" but I always just say "I think we need more time to talk, so when are you free next week for a conference?" This shows you were listening to their concerns and want to have a more proper time with them.

8. Remember this is the first impression families have of you - Look Nice! Smile! Eye Contact!


Now for the fun part! Here is my classroom - finished!


My co-teacher and I's doors! They turned out great!

Welcome Sign - Thanks Marie and Kim!
My connecting door to my favorite grade level boss! His baseball theme is a hit!

My door ;)
My desk - nothing special but CLEAN!

Left Side

Middle

Right Side

Twitter Board on the back of door...that birdy was the inspiration to our theme! It hold the markers for the twitter board and our job sticks.
My writing work station

My fabulous Common Board - duct tape from Kmart!

My motto and rules board

My library with anchor chart tree, plus my Tale of Despereaux Poster and book - can you find it?

Portfolio wall  - hooks with key rings. Anything that the students are proud of will go on their key ring to celebrate! It doesn't have to be a test but whatever they would like to keep to show their parents at the end of they year. The blue says "Something to Tweet About"

My Pinterest Filing Cabinet and some awesome Sorting Mats! Thanks Cathy! You rock!    

 Leave me your best tip for meet the teacher! I will add it to mine :)

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment